ACH (Electronic Transactions)

  • ACH/Electronic Check Withdrawals

    • Some merchants and financial institutions choose to process your checks electronically through the ACH system rather than submitting the paper copy. This converts your original check to an electronic transaction. This type of transaction does not provide LMCU with a check copy. The depositing financial institution retains that check copy and provides LMCU only with electronic information. Most ACH transactions, including ACH checks, will show up as pending on the account history screen of your account. You will see: The company name and amount of the transaction. The check number may not display on the pending screen and the description may be a broader, corporate title that might change to be more specific once the check actually posts. One way to identify a confusing transaction is to look for the amount in your check register.
  • Begin ACH/Electronic Transaction

    • When requesting an authorization for an electronic payment or deposit to your account, please include both the 9 digit routing number and the 12 digit-MICR format of your account number. The MICR format of your account number can be found on the bottom of your checks. It is the second set of numbers and is 12 digits long. The first set of numbers is the routing number. You can also find your full account and routing number by: -Logging in to Online Banking - click on the 'Service' tab, then on 'Display MICR' -Logging in to our Mobile App - go to the Menu, then click 'Account Details' - Calling our Member Services Department at (616 or 800) 242-9790.
  • Cancel ACH/Electronic Transaction

    • When you ask a company to automatically withdraw a payment from your account, you give that company the authorization for those electronic withdrawals. The transaction is submitted and controlled by the merchant where it was originated. To discontinue the ACH/electronic payment, you will have to contact the company where it was set up. Because the amount of advance notice the company requires varies, it is best to notify them well in advance of the withdrawal date. It is also a good idea to keep record of who you spoke with to cancel that withdrawal. You might want to follow up your conversation with a fax or written note. If you have withdrawn that company’s permission to take the payment and the transaction still posts, you can dispute that withdrawal by signing an "Affidavit of Unauthorized ACH Withdrawal" form. This form can be signed at any branch location or please call our Member Services Department at (616 or 800) 242-9790 to request a form be mailed to you.
  • Dispute ACH/Electronic Transaction

    • To dispute an unauthorized or cancelled ACH/electronic withdrawal, we need your signature on an "Affidavit of Unauthorized ACH Withdrawal" form. You can sign this form at any branch location. You may also call our Member Services Department at (616 or 800) 242-9790 or send an email to [email protected] to request that a form be mailed or emailed to you. Within proper guidelines, the withdrawal can be reversed by our Accounting Department within 60 days.
  • Federal Holidays Delay Transactions

    • Electronic transactions circulate between financial institutions through the Federal Reserve. Because Federal offices are closed on Holidays, your Payroll Direct Deposits and Automatic payment withdrawals (including Bill Pay) do not post on those days.While Bill Pay will compensate for the delay by withdrawing your payment to arrive on the date you designated, unless businesses submit the transaction a day early, your payroll may not arrive when you expect.

      These Federal Holidays are listed below:

      Martin Luther King Day
      Presidents Day
      Memorial Day
      July 4
      Labor Day
      Columbus Day
      Veterans Day
      New Years Day
  • Pending ACH Transactions

    • Online Banking will display an incoming ACH pending transaction whenever we have advance notice of the withdrawal or deposit. You can find all pending transactions online under account history. ACH deposits post in the early morning and withdrawals in the early evening. Some ACH deposits and withdrawals will post directly, without advance display, because many arrive just in time for posting. Please note that the pending ACH withdrawal or deposit amount is not factored into the available balance shown on the Account Summary Screen.
  • Returned ACH- Will It Be Resubmitted?

    • A Non-Sufficient Funds ACH transaction that was returned unpaid can come through again, as it is still a valid, authorized payment. The merchant can run the transaction until that payment has been satisfied. Because each Company or Bank sets their own policy, we do not know whether an ACH will be re-submitted for withdrawal. You might want to contact that payee to find out how they handle these situations.

      If you have questions about any transactions on your account, please contact our Member Services Department at (616 or 800) 242-9790.
  • Stop Payment on an ACH

    • If you decide you do not want an ACH withdrawal to post on your account, you can block it with a stop payment. A stop payment requires a signature, and costs a small fee (view Service Fees). You can sign a stop-payment form at any of our branch locations or call our Member Services Department at (616 or 800) 242-9790 to place a verbal stop. The necessary form can be mailed or emailed to you for your signature. A verbal stop payment is in place for 14 days only. Once you sign the stop payment form and return it to us, we can make that stop payment permanent on the account.